Pedro Américo (1843-1905) was a Brazilian painter. One of the most important painters in our history. He is the author of the screen "O Grito do Ipiranga", a commission of the royal family, to be part of the collection of the Ipiranga Museum. It is also by him the paintings "Batalha do Avaí", "Paz e Concórdia", "Batalha do Campo Grande", among others. He is Patron of chair no. 24 of the Paraiban Academy of Letters.
Pedro Américo de Figueiredo e Melo was born in Areia, Paraíba, on April 29, 1843. Son of guitarist Eduardo de Figueiredo and Feliciana Cirne from an early age showed talent for the arts. In 1852, he was invited, as an auxiliary designer, to accompany the French naturalist Jean Brunet on a scientific expedition through northeastern Brazil. span>
In 1854 Pedro Américo went to Rio de Janeiro to study at Pedro II College. In 1856 he entered the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts. He received from the Emperor D. Pedro II, a scholarship to study at the National Higher School of Fine Arts of Paris, where he went in 1859. He was a student of Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, one of the greatest painters of French neoclassicism.
Still in Paris, studied at the Institute of Physics of Adolphe Ganot, in the course of Archeology of Charles Ernest Beulé and a bachelor of Social Sciences in Sorbonne with the thesis “Philosophical Considerations of Fine Art Among the Ancients”.
Pedro Américo returned to Brazil in 1864 and began teaching at the School of Fine Arts, but soon returned to Europe, where at the University of Brussels. received the title of Doctor of Physical and Natural Sciences. In addition to producing various canvases, he devoted himself to poetry, romance, and philosophy.
In 1869 he was in Portugal, where he married Carlota de Araújo Porto Alegre, daughter of the Brazilian consul in Lisbon, his former teacher. The couple had three children.
The Throne Speech (1873) , also known as Pedro II , is a representation of the emperor at the opening of the General Assembly:
Pedro Américo de Figueiredo Melo faleceu em Florença, Itália, no dia 7 de novembro de 1905.